News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• June 23, 2017, 10:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Certified Document Center Scam?!  (Read 2193 times)

lake92

• View Profile
Certified Document Center Scam?!
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
I received a letter from Certified Documents Center. I called them and talked to them. They said they could lower my monthly rates, consolidate my loan and get me on a capped plan since I work for a non-profit. They are charging me a filing and paperwork fee for their under writer of $899. I am concerned since they mentioned they can drop the loan interest to only .25% but do not see how that is possible if they are not affiliated with the DOE. Has anyone dealt with this company?!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:30:50 AM by lake92 »

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Certified Document Center Scam?!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:07:01 PM »

kcavitt87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
I received this same phone call just now from Certified Document Center. And let me tell you, that "Patricia" was quite a smooth talker in telling me how they could help me with my student loans as a 3RD PARTY COMPANY working along with the DOE. Furthermore, she told me they could lower my monthly rates if I signed up through them for their IBR loan repayment option and could have my loan payments down to $85/mo. and a 5.95% interest rate. I was led to believe that amazing deal was exclusive to only their company through their partnership with the DOE and thats all I would have to pay until my loans were forgiven. Just had to pay a startup cost fee of around $900.

If you read this article, you'll notice everything she used as a sales point are in fact false.  http://thecollegeinvestor.com/317/top-student-loan-scams/

The major ones shown in the following 2 excerpts are the direct definition of what the salesperson told me:

​Enrollment in repayment programs is available at no cost to Federal student loan borrowers and can be done for free at StudentLoans.gov
Debt relief companies do not have the ability to negotiate with your Federal student loan creditors in order to get you a better deal.
Payment amounts, qualifiers, requirements under IBR, PAYE, and other repayment programs are set by Federal law

But that doesn’t automatically mean paying someone for help is a scam. While these programs are free, signing up can be confusing for some people. Or they may have complex situations and want someone to help them. Just like some people do their taxes themselves, while others hire a CPA, the same applies to student loan debt help.

You can do it yourself. Or you could pay someone to help you (if you want to see who we recommend, scroll to the bottom). However, if you pay someone to help you, you need to make sure you’re not going to be ripped off and the company is reputable.

Student Loan Relief Red Flags​:

​Now that you know some of the main types of student loan relief scams, what are some red flags to look for?

​Based on talking to consumers for several years, these themes have emerged:

Any company ​that claims to have a relationship with the Department of Education (third-party companies do not have any relationship with the Department of Education)
Any company that promises you a set payment or forgiveness (companies cannot promise forgiveness or guarantee an income based repayment because both will change based on your income)

In the end, you can do it all yourself for free. Just like the link says. Hope that helps

dorotkak2002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
Yes it is a scam in my opinion. I feel  it is not what you are promised in the beginning. And in the end they will use all their lawyer jargon against you when you call them on it. It is my fault for not doing more research and reading between the lines I guess and it is embarrassing.  You can do it all yourself and save money. Year later I'm left with headache, wasted hours on phone and I'm  $900 short. I signed up year ago, spend money and year later I still am not where I was promised with my paperwork. My consolidation just got approved in February after my multiple calls and reaching out (mind u I signed up with them August 2016). Of course they blame delays on Fed Loan, YOU, misunderstanding, and oh yeah mainly YOU! Don't do it! You have enough debt!!!