• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

First Fidelity Services- legit or scam?

Started by kbd, July 15, 2019, 11:21:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kbd

I received a call from this company and they seemed legit. As they knew things about my loan and account. They continued to ask questions and talking to me about a loan assistance program, which they asked for information to see if I was eligible. Turns out I am, great right? They told me I was eligable to pay $240 for the first three months and then on the fourth month, and there after my minimum would be $0 or whatever I could afford. After transferring me to a couple different people, asking about my SSN and address, as well as having me sign a few documents I quickly shut them down and asked if I could have my account put on hold. I told them I needed to look at a few things and would call them back. Within one of the documents it said a fee of $720 for the consolidation, so I asked the guy on the phone what that fee was and he said it would be taken out as the $240 in the first three months. They sent me an email confirming that my account has been placed on hold/cancelled. I am afraid that they already have my information and that it might be too late. Within the cancellation email there was a billing department number and I called to verify I wont be charged, but I am still cautious. I was transferred to 4 different people in my 53 minute phone call and the number that popped up was the same area code as mine but the company location is in California ( I was trying to look them up while on the phone with them to see if they were a scam). Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Did I do the right thing by holding/cancelling my account?

TheCollegeInvestor

Remember, you never have to pay to consolidate your loans - it's a free service you can do yourself. You can enlist the services of a third party company, but you never have to. If you do choose to work with them or anyone, make sure you read this first: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/