• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Parent PLUS loan repayment with PSLF

Started by heaven91, July 17, 2019, 01:13:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heaven91

Hi,
My husband and I have several PLUS loans we took out to help our 3 children pay for college.  We have applied for Public Service Loan Forgiveness and been already approved.  However, Fedloan Servicing told us first we must consolidate all of our PLUS loans into one to have the eligible payments count towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (120 payment plan).  I read on your site to NEVER CONSOLIDATE PARENT PLUS loans so now am concerned about what they told me at Fed Loans.  What do we do here?
Thank You!

TheCollegeInvestor

Parent PLUS Loans aren't eligible loans for PSLF - because you can't get a qualifying repayment plan.

You need to consolidate to a direct consolidation loan, then get on ICR - which does qualify for PSLF.

You can consolidate as long as the only loans in the consolidation loan are the PLUS loans.

Where people get into trouble is that they put other loans types in with the PLUS loan, thus limiting future repayment plan options.