• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

AFSLR, is it legit or a scam?

Started by wolfie2112, June 03, 2016, 05:19:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie2112

I was recently lured into working with getting my federal loans forgiven. I was "accepted for the full amount" and was too overwhelmed by everything going on today to really consider much of what was happening and my scam radar went off when they asked for $500 to process everything. It all seemed very legit but I can't help but think its too good to be true. They were called "Post Grad Aid" and apparently work through a company called AFSLR or Association for Student Loan Relief. I'm emailing AFSLR right now to ask if they are associated with this company but I was wondering if any of you have come across this group?  BBB has them listed but with no reviews whatsoever. And they didn't offer to take the loans I have out of default but rather to wait until the rehabilitation program is over to take care of them as well.

I'll be doing research all night till I come up with something concrete so please offer any info if you have any.

TheCollegeInvestor

I've never heard of them before, but for Federal loans you should be paying a company - you just work with your lender.

Read through this and see if they meet any of the scam criteria: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/

jamin_music

Today, I was calling about student loan forgiveness programs. Student Loan Educators says they are registered with the Association for Student Loan Relief (AFSLR) as well. I was wondering if you found out if they were legit or a scam? I was also told I would qualify for $0/month.

TheCollegeInvestor

AFSLR is just an industry trade group. Doesn't mean anything. 

In general, you can do anything related to your Federal student loans yourself at StudentLoans.gov. Read through this article for more information: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/

jcope53

Did you find out any information on this company? I got sucked into it and want to cancel it if you find out it's a scam.