• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Certified Document Center: Scam or not?

Started by Big_Pete33, August 25, 2016, 09:46:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_Pete33

Hello everyone, this is my first time on this website, and as of Thursday, August 25, 2016. I received a letter from this Student Loan Consolidation, called "Certified Document Center"

The top said "Final Notice" and the letter told me this:

Dear: *****

Our records indicate that your federal student loans may be eligible for a consolidation with the U.S Department of Education. As a federal student loan holder, you may be eligible to convert your existing high-interest loan into a federally-backed consolidation with a lower rate*. Your loans in the amount of $41,875 may be be eligible for total loan forgiveness.

Benefits of the Consolidation Program may include:

• No credit check
    Interest rate reduction regardless of balance or pay history

• Lower monthly payments

• Lower monthly payments based on income and family size

• Loan Forgiveness[/b]

No other calls or notices will be spent to you in regards to this offer. Due to a high call volume, we ask that you complete the process below prior to calling.

Please create your Federal Student Aid ID and call by August 26th, 2016 or before your next payment is due:

So, I used my FSA account and called the number. After talking to the guy for about an hour and a half, I was given a plan that the Department of Education with pay for the bills and I was to pay the Department themselves around $30 based on my income. What I spoke to the phone was basically applying on the phone about my information, like my address, how much money I made, and so on. I was directed to another person telling me about what I need to send  and  paying $800 at starting date.

At first I was overjoyed, but then I realized something if "it's too good to be true, chances are it is."

I checked this Reddit message about it and the answers were shady at best. https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/3v5ldy/i_have_received_mail_about_eligibility_of/

To make a long story short, am I being scammed?

I've been working since March 2016, and been making around $10,000 give or take.

TheCollegeInvestor

While maybe not a scam, you're basically paying them $800 to put you on income based repayment. That's it. What you should know is you can sign up for IBR for free on StudentLoans.gov or by simply calling your lender. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

I'm actually surprised you're not already on income-based repayment (IBR) given how much you are making.

IBR comes with student loan forgiveness as part of the program. So your loans will get forgiven after 20 years.

Read this article: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/

Big_Pete33

Thank you for he reply! I was naive enough for not realizing this sooner

I shall cancel the contract as soon as I can.

DejaVu

Hey, I got this in the mail as well and I called them and set up a consultation and everything. I haven't agreed to any paid services yet, but the guy I talked to said someone will call me in the morning tomorrow and ask me a bunch of questions. I'm guessing they would ask me for the fee money then.

I gave them a LOT of information already like my social security, drivers license, references, my 2015 income, debt, etc. Should I be worried?

please help.  :(

rysukosan

I do not think that they are a scam. I was able to successfully consolidate my student loans through them knowing that I could do it myself. The reason I went through them is the same reason I take my car to a mechanic or have H&R Block do my taxes and that is because they know the programs in and out and to be honest I didn't even know the programs existed until they sent me this notice. I understand you can go on studentloans.gov and do it yourself but what if a mistake is made or I put myself in the wrong program or I just F up? I'd much rather entrust a company that has been around for a couple of years rather then myself (who literally just found out about the programs seconds before I called them)

My loans are now in an IBR with a $0 payment

Yes, $800 isn't cheap but it is worth it knowing that this is being taken care of for you correctly. Everyone has their own opinion but the fact of the matter is your lender doesn't want you to know these programs exist and neither does the DOE.

I called the DOE and they told me that the only forgiveness program there is, is for public service people (which isn't the truth) so again I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

TheCollegeInvestor

Hi Ryan or rysukosan,

Thanks for the review of a company that you also claim to work at. 

Remember, everything that you do on a website is logged, so when you posted a comment claiming to work at Certified Document Center, and then posted a comment under a different username, and then posted this review/testimonial, it's all logged.

I screen-shoted it for easy reference for anyone browsing this forum: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/317/top-student-loan-scams/#comment-303782