• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Any individual ever sued ED Dept on forgiveness? class action?

Started by Ethwinnia, March 03, 2017, 08:12:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethwinnia

I am disabled.  I have been on the Dept of Ed/Nelnet disability monitoring program for 5 years.  Today I was told program is only 3 years.  But I nonetheless have completed 5 years...  Today I also received my Social Security Disability Check - minus $155 and some change because, according to Nelnet, the Dept of Ed has not sent them all of my loans to forgive.  When I contacted Dept of Ed., they said I need to submit another TTPD application as well as fill out a deferment request to stop the off set of my disability income.  Nelnet says DO fill out the deferment paperwork but DO NOT fill out new TTPD application because then the process will start all over - including the monitoring period.  There is so much more to my story but suffice it to say I have friends who say they got the run around from Dept of Ed on their loans too.  Makes me wonder if a lawsuit isn't in order.  Have a phone number for an ombudsman but does it do any good to mediate with them?  I will not budge on my stance that I have no further obligation on these loans and the problem is not mine, however that will not take the default they have placed on my credit report away.

TheCollegeInvestor

I would file a complaint with the CFPB immediately: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Then, I would look to find a reputable student loan attorney that could potentially assist you.