News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• January 16, 2019, 11:47:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Might have just been scammed pretty scary please help  (Read 2608 times)

AngelaB. Puryear

• View Profile
Might have just been scammed pretty scary please help
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
I may have just gotten scammed and need assistance quickly. Recently due to Parent plus inclusion in my loan Consolidation package, which occurred many years ago, my monthly payments increased by $300. Working with Navient to no avail they couldn't reduce the payments because I no longer qualified for an IBR, I did get a call via auto Dial here at work and in desperation called the number. The person I spoke with was so knowledgeable I authorized and signed for her to look at my particulars and signed documents "online signature" for them to do the work to reduce my monthly payments by $83 the best they could do also because of Parent Plus portion and my family size. They are charging a fee of $265 a month for 3 months while they work on getting the package approved via DOE and the contract states that if they don't get the amount reduced They'll return my total of $795.00 in the meantime they'll put my account in forbearance for 3 months and Navient will not contact me. They also stated my account should've been worked as a loan forgiveness packet because I currently work for a nonprofit and have since 2001. They said it's not retroactive however any amounts paid after they reconsolidate under the loan forgiveness plan after 10 years the balance I owe will be forgiven. Now doing this quick research and finding you I believe I've been duped, what can I do now? They were able to point me to the pages in the contract that said my entire $765 will be returned if they don't get approval from DOE to reduce my monthly payment. I'm so scared now that someone's out there with my signatures and waiting for three months and nothing will happen. The company name is National Student Aid Care and this is the website. what should I do now?

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Might have just been scammed pretty scary please help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
When working with a company, you need to know what you're getting. It's okay to pay for help, but not required. Read this article: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/

However, like you said, your PLUS loan was included in your consolidation loan, which eliminates your opportunity for IBR or income-based plans. I don't quite know what this company is offering to help you with, but you should get clarity.