News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• September 26, 2017, 07:34:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about goodbyeloans.com  (Read 233 times)

mavis_d6

• View Profile
Question about goodbyeloans.com
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
Background:
I have a lot of loans from Argosy University and recently saw this article:
http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/16/pf/college/for-profit-college-edmc-settlement/index.html

Of course this got my hopes up and my parents sent me a link to goodbyeloans.com. I got on the phone with a goodbyeloans loan counselor and after she processed my loan information and asked me 15 questions about my experience at Argosy, she said I was qualified for a "discharge" program for my student loans. This program, I was told, involved being set up with a caseworker. However, it requires over 900 dollars to process my loans.

Now, I have not committed to anything with this company since they asked for the money up front (red flag). Of course I have a long list of questions I will be asking them this Friday. However, I am wondering if there is anyone else on this forum that has had experience with goodbyeloans.com.

Also, are there legit, reputable and alternative (and preferably non-profit) companies that can help me pursue a possible forgiveness/discharge from my Argosy Loans? I have had better experience with non-profit loan companies and would rather deal with them over for-profit ones.

Thank you if you can provide me advice/input.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:01:42 PM by TheCollegeInvestor »

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Question about goodbyeloans.com
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:46 PM »
First off, the process for getting your loans discharged because of fraud at the school is called Borrower Defense To Repayment. You can learn more about the process here: thecollegeinvestor.com/18752/understanding-borrower-defense-repayment/

Second, everything with your Federal loans (including Borrower Defense To Repayment), can be done for free, by you. You can learn more at StudentLoans.gov

If you want to pay a third-party company to help you, you can. Read this article first and understand what you're actually paying for, and red flags to look out for: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/