News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• March 18, 2019, 04:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spouse signature required for new repayment plan  (Read 1865 times)

SSP46

• View Profile
Spouse signature required for new repayment plan
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
I returned to college late in life and got a B. A. at age 50 and an M.Ed. at age 58. I consolidated my loans in 2004 with ACS, but Navient is now my loan provider.  I am on a graduated repayment plan but, now that I am over 70 and unable to get a job, it is becoming more difficult to make the payments.  I would like to get on a plan with lower payments and hoped to get help from Ameritech, but they do not do business in my state.  I completed an application form at studentloans.gov and allowed them access to our joint tax returns.  I got a message back that I was not qualified for an IBR and was asked if I wanted Navient to consider me for another plan with the lowest possible payment.  To be considered, my husband needs to sign the application.  Why is that?  He is concerned that if he does sign, he will somehow be liable for paying my student loan.  Is that possible?  I am the only one who signed on the original loan.  Both of us are retired and on social security, but my husband does have a small IRA that is dwindling rapidly. 

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Spouse signature required for new repayment plan
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:04:09 AM »
You spouse must sign because income-driven repayment plans rely on both incomes in most cases. Your spouse doesn't become liable for your loan, but simply for providing proof of his income.

You can consider filing your taxes married filing separately, in which case, on some repayment plans, you'll only use your income: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/17807/the-math-behind-married-filing-separately-for-ibr-or-paye/