News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• September 25, 2018, 06:12:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nationwide Recovery Service, inc  (Read 692 times)

leejay24

• View Profile
Nationwide Recovery Service, inc
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:26:36 AM »
Hi, this may be a long post! Just a heads up.

Earlier today, I called my college and spoke with someone from their financial office about a rehabilitation plan for my defaulted loans. The person I spoke with mentioned that they would send out a letter to me about it and so forth. 

Now, recently, I received a letter from a debt collection agency called Nationwide Recovery Service saying that my defaulted federal loan was placed at that agency by my previous college. When I first called, I was greeted by an opening statement stating that I'd reached Nationwide Recovery Service. It then prompted me to enter my caller's extension number if I knew it, otherwise, press '0' and it would connect me to the next available agent. I then spoke with someone by the name of Jan Kaminski. She was very helpful, and seemed very friendly. As we kept talking, Jan explained to me the loan placed at their agency and what my options were (rehabilitation or consolidate). However, I realized that the loan Jan and i were discussing, was the same loan that I'd already spoken about with the person from my previous college's financial office. When I mentioned my earlier call to the financial office to Jan, she told me that they were supposed to send me in her direction rather than setting up a 'payment plan' with me. She then later told me to just ignore the letter that my previous college will send me and instead gave me all of the government sites in which I can properly locate all of my loans and consolidate them if I wish to do so.

This is my first time dealing with something like this and maybe I'm just being skeptical because I've heard so many scam stories, but has anyone had any run ins similar to this? Has anyone heard of Nationwide Recovery Service, and worked with them?

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Nationwide Recovery Service, inc
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »
Hi there,

Once your loan is in default, it goes to a collection agency. Here's a list of the collection agencies that the government uses (but realize that some operate sub-companies with different names): https://thecollegeinvestor.com/20026/student-loan-debt-collectors/

You can verify who owns your debt by following the steps in this article: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/15577/student-loan-rehabilitation/

If they indeed own your debt, you would need to setup the rehabilitation agreement with them.