News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• July 23, 2018, 08:09:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Legit or Scam - Preferred Doc Solutions?  (Read 1638 times)

mnp

• View Profile
Legit or Scam - Preferred Doc Solutions?
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:12:59 PM »
Company supposedly out of California. Used a 3rd party payment processing service (Ram payment) to withdraw one payment from the account.

Now, I am fully aware that if I used their services I'm basically paying for the convenience, when I tried to do it myself I couldn't get even close to the rate that they claimed they could get me on repayment. (160 v. 400 when I used DoE's site, which I can't pay). They did state in my discussions with them that I'm paying DoE not them, only their 3rd party fee. They were very clear they were not the government.

IF they could get me that rate, then I'm willing to pay the fees  BUT from what I understood I needed to get them more information on my income which I didn't give them but the payment was still taken. Currently both the 3rd party payment place and the student loan doc place are closed until monday so I can't contact them by phone until then. The use of a 3rd party suggests they are legit to me but I honestly have had trouble finding information on them.

Anyone heard of them or dealt with them?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:15:38 PM by mnp »

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Legit or Scam - Preferred Doc Solutions?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »
Remember, when working with a third party company it's also like filing your taxes. You're still responsible for the accuracy of whatever this company submits on your behalf. Make sure you review all documents for accuracy before you file them.

Also, read our FAQ here: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/

cmk

• View Profile
Re: Legit or Scam - Preferred Doc Solutions?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 04:15:37 AM »
They have recently contacted me. I’m nervous about taking the help, because it requires me to pay them to transfer the loan from my loan servicer to the Department of Education. Did everything workout for you?