News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• March 26, 2019, 01:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alumni Help Center  (Read 3577 times)

kguidotti

• View Profile
Alumni Help Center
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:21:59 PM »
I was recently contacted by the Alumni Help Center, who offered me quite a bit of forgiveness under the graduated repayment program and PSLF.  I've attempted to find this program on studentloans.gov and don't see the application.  I've read all of the articles referenced in this forum and know that I can apply on my own.  That said, is this company a known scam?  They have good BBB ratings. 

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Alumni Help Center
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »
First off, for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF), there are three qualifications:
1. Public Service Employment
2. Direct Loans
3. Income Driven Repayment Plan (Note: the graduated repayment plan is NOT a qualifying plan)

**Note: Congress just passed an exception to allow some graduated plan participants to switch to income-driven plans and have their payments count, but it's an exception process with limited funding. If you're new to PSLF, chances of funding existing in 10 years are minimal, so I wouldn't chance it when you can do it right from the start.

That being said, if you choose to work with a third party, you need to vet them and know what you're getting exactly. You also need to follow up on the work involved - it's like taxes. Even if you pay a preparer, the IRS doesn't care. It's still your return.

We can't help you form an opinion about working with a third party company. As we've stated, you can do it yourself and recommend it. If you choose to, make sure you know what you're getting and paying for.