News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• August 15, 2018, 01:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does going into student deferment reset the 25 year IBR forgiveness period?  (Read 133 times)

etc

• View Profile
I have been out of grad school for about 7 years now. Due to high interest rates and a large debt load, a vast majority of the payment that is currently paid under IBR goes to interest. As a strategy to pay down the debt and to expand my education, I will be re-enrolling in school for 6 hours. I understand that this will defer my loans and prevent interest from accruing on the Stafford Subsidized loans. During this time, I'll be diverting the payments to my private loans instead.

Is this a good strategy? Does going into student deferment reset the clock on loan forgiveness? I don't want to have to restart the 25 year forgiveness cycle on those loans.

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Is this a good strategy long term? It's hard to say.

Here's some thoughts:
- Your IBR clock doesn't reset as long as you keep your loans in good standing
- Deferment is still good standing
- To get deferment for being in-school, you need to be enrolled at-least as a half-time student (I don't know if 6 hours is enough).

The hard part I see with this strategy is balancing being a half-time student with working. For the same time devotion, could you earn more and make a serious dent in your loans, versus spending more (for the classes you're taking) and struggle with time management?

For the short term, it might work, but I can't see this being a sustainable long term strategy. Furthermore, I think there are alternatives to spending your time earning versus being in school that might benefit your entire financial picture in a better way.