News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• January 16, 2019, 10:24:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rehabilitation  (Read 324 times)

AJ2255

• View Profile
Rehabilitation
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:54:20 AM »
My FFEL student loans have been in default for 7 years. I want to start the rehabilition process. I have almost $10,000 saved up from working but I won't be "on the books" at my job until March. (seasonal landscaping, although I may land another job for the few months until landscaping picks back up in March). I'de like to make the smallest payment amount possible during the rehabilition and then launch an aggressive attack on my loans using the Snowball Method. But how do I negotiate or prove my income to make payments if im not "on the books" until March?

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Rehabilitation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:29:29 AM »
Here's the steps to get out of default: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/22174/student-loan-default/

Rehabilitation will require 9 payments before you can get on an income-driven repayment plan. You need to see what these payments would be and make sure you can afford them before you start. The worst thing you can do is start the process and then stop after 3-4 months.

AJ2255

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
Right, but what can I do to make the 9 rehabilitation payments as low as possible?

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »
Not much - it's based on a formula. You can fill out this form here and see: https://ifap.ed.gov/dpcletters/attachments/GEN1409OMB1845n0120RAP.pdf