News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• February 20, 2019, 09:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: National Student Loans  (Read 270 times)

tagh1999

• View Profile
National Student Loans
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:28:55 AM »
Received a call from this company, National Student Loans, based in Irvine, CA.  They want to set me up with a repayment plan for 20 years to pay of my student loans while paying a third of what I am paying per month right now.  They said after 20 years, whatever is left will be forgiven.  They want me to make 3 payments of $249 the first three months which they will keep and then $170 a month after that.  Is this a scam that I should stay away from?  Please let me know.

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: National Student Loans
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »
We don't know anything about this company or presume to make assumptions.

It does sound like they are simply enrolling you in an income-driven repayment plan like IBR or PAYE. The program you describe is your payment is based on your income and anything left at the end of the repayment term is forgiven.

Learn more here: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/11856/secret-student-loan-forgiveness/

ronnied321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:53:10 PM »
Received a call from this company, National Student Loans, based in Irvine, CA.  They want to set me up with a repayment plan for 20 years to pay of my student loans while paying a third of what I am paying per month right now.  They said after 20 years, whatever is left will be forgiven.  They want me to make 3 payments of $249 the first three months which they will keep and then $170 a month after that.  Is this a scam that I should stay away from?  Please let me know.

Possible it's related to this company: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/national-legal-staffing-support-offers-000400002.html ?

Stephbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:32:32 AM »
There are so many of these questions where various kinds of companies that are taking advantage of the vulnerable by trying to scam them with such offers to repay debt. It is really sad how this industry has grown in size to scam people.