• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

I stupidly entered into a scam company.... how do I get out?

Started by Wah-Keetcha, May 05, 2019, 10:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wah-Keetcha

hello all,

I've been doing a lot of thinking about paying 35.00 dollars to Western Benefits Group since 2015 every month and never having to show proof of income or anything stating my job status has changed-- even though I've moved and switched jobs 5 times since. starting to think I unwittingly and stupidly am being scammed (I was dumb and out on my own for the first time, scared I wasn't able to make my loan payments and lo and behold this company comes out of nowhere to make things all better). I've searched online for how to get out of this scam, but to no avail. all I keep getting are articles on 'how to avoid student loan scams', which are helpful.. but don't tell me what to do now?

I'm thinking about stopping the payments on my banks end and seeing what they are going to do? I have no idea what I'm doing, all I know is I'm not happy with myself for being taken for a ride. Do I call navient and see what's going on? My personal loans were all consolidated through citizens bank, so it's only my subsidized and unsubsidized loans.... which I'm paying Navient for and the loan amounts on Navient are similar to what WBG shows in their paperwork from 2015.

I just need to know what to do. I finally got my credit to a good place and really don't want to take that hit unless I absolutely have too.
any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

TheCollegeInvestor

If you're not satisfied with working with a third party company, you need to see what your paperwork says for cancellation. Typically you can call and cancel, and stop making payments.

You also just need to follow up directly with your loan servicer, ensure your paperwork/loan info is correct, and continue making payments on your student loans.