• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

pretty sure it's a scam

Started by zach123b, February 01, 2020, 07:45:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zach123b

February 01, 2020, 07:45:43 am Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:28:36 am by TheCollegeInvestor
I have 12k loans from Devry back in 2010/2011.  Thinking it might be possible to get that dropped due to Devry losing a lawsuit about claiming to get students better jobs such as more money from said job.  I got a small check for about 150 then another one for about 30 since then.  The loans are federal as far as I understand with Navient.

Now I tried googling if I qualified for loan discharge or forgiveness due to Devry paying out for being a bad college at the time.  As far as I read, I qualified for getting most or all of my debt wiped away.  I tried a website studentloansresolved and punched in name and number.  I got a phone call about 2hours later (Friday at 8pm here) saying they could help me out.  They asked for name and email address then sent me an email which the guy asked for a 6 digit code from the email.  I didn't read the email until mid call but it was for fsaid. (After the call I changed my fsaid password).  Red flags went up and I googled the number to get mostly robo callers and one person reporting student loan stuff (6195059238).  He stated he was with Allied Financial and went on BBB something.  At the end he was saying they could bring my debt down to around under 1200 and I would need to make 6 months of payments of 199 something and insisted on me making the payment tonight.  When I said I don't have that right now, he wanted a cc such as a gift card or something without money on it just to have it on file and I wouldn't have to make a payment yet.  After no cards, he wanted to call back on monday so I had time to get an empty gift card or such so it was more secure or something.  Do you guys have any experience with the Devry scandal or with Allied Financial?

TheCollegeInvestor

Your only luck may be with a program called Borrower Defense to Repayment. However, since you already received a settlement, you likely won't also get your loans forgiven.

zach123b

February 01, 2020, 11:24:25 am #2 Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:28:32 am by zach123b
Every article I've read has said that students can deposit the checks for Devry and it wouldn't affect getting the loans forgiven.  I don't know if I'll actually get them forgiven or reduced but I'm going to try and see what I can do.  I'll try going through the borrower defense to repayment to the best of my ability, thanks.

Edit: Do you think the phone call/website were a scam with Allied Financial?