• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Victims of Spousal Student Loan Consolidation

Started by CajunPete, June 17, 2020, 11:58:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CajunPete

June 17, 2020, 11:58:11 pm Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:10:43 pm by TheCollegeInvestor
Hello unfortunate consolidators,

I am a victim of the Spousal Student Loan Consolidation. I foolishly consolidated my student loans with me ex-wife. We divorced in 2013 and our loan has gone into default because she stopped sending in the forbearance paperwork and had the address changed for all of the communication from Fed Direct to go to her address as I was working out of the country trying to raise the entire amount of my loan and pay it off in one lump sum.

She has since remarried and is untouchable. I am the "primary" borrower on our loan. She does not work and her husband pays all of their bills. Getting a judgement against her would be pointless because she does to have any wages to garnish.She refuses to take any responsibility for any of the loan debt. Her husband buys everything in his name. He bought their house and cars in his name, then adds he name to the deed/titles later. They live in a state that protects their homestead from any time of collection by debtors.

The political climate might be ripe to finally push the government to allow the break-up of these spousal consolidations.

Once I gather the information, I propose to present to the US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, as well as the US House Committee on Education and Labor.
As you probably know the issue of Student Loan Debt has come up during this years Presidential campaign, especially during the Democratic Presidential Primaries. Perhaps we have time to resurrect the issue before the elections in November.

I ask that you please contact me if you are in a difficult situation due to Spousal Consolidation of Student Loans or that you contact someone that you might know that is having difficulties. I also ask that you please write a letter to both your US Senator and Congressman regarding the issue. They all have simple forms on their respective websites that makes contacting them quick and easy.
I hope to hear from many of you soon.

TheCollegeInvestor

Please feel free to share your stories below. We have removed the posters contact details to prevent spam.