• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Loan Forgivness from Overseas

Started by AussieMick79, December 27, 2021, 01:59:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic


Hello all and thanks in advance for your help. I'll try and keep it short.

My wife moved here to Australia approximately 12 years ago and currently has approx 20k in student loans. We're currently trying to sort them out but as this isn't something I've had to deal with here down under I'm a little lost in helping her.

We tried to pay some a few years back but the exchange and transfer fees were killing us.

I'm thinking a few different options.

A: Offer a small amount to pay out loan, end of the day it would be possible for us to just forget it, I understand they can't follow her up down under here, returning to the US seems very unlikely at this stage. Not really sure how to go about this.

B: Apply for a medical discharge or similar? My wife was diagnosed with MS here in Australia back in 2019. My understanding is she would need a US licenced doctor to sign off on this? We don't have one IS based but have neurologists and MS nurses here who could confirm. Any idea of a doctor who could right such a letter without a physical consultation?

C: Try and figure a payment plan that avoids exchange rates and fees?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  T.I.A




You didn't say how much she was making, but you could be on IBR and get forgiveness for it. See this guide for some tips on Student Loans for Expats.


Sorry, she's part time on reduced hours now and making approx $350 USD p/w


So check out the guide, she may have the ability to get a very small loan payment (or nothing) and forgiveness at the end of the repayment term.