• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Angry, frustrated and confused

Started by FrustratedinOH, August 23, 2022, 06:38:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FrustratedinOH

Back in 2000, while I was being treated for depression at a mental health respite center, my then husband had me sign papers for the Federal Spouse Consolidation Loan, without me actually being aware of what I was signing or given time to read said papers. We divorced in 2008, and I foolishly thought he would pay his part of the loans. Nope. He didn't even contact our loan provider, until he applied for and received total disability (he was too depressed to work). Here's my confusion- the principal balance was discharged, but since this was done through a private lender, there is a heck of a lot of interest that we owe on. My ex is convinced he doesn't owe on that, as the balance was discharged. The student loan company begs to differ, saying he is still listed on the loan and is responsible. I'm looking at about $800.00 a month for the next 20 years if I can't figure something out in terms of him (or the House passes the bill that allows these loans to be seperated). Is my ex right? Is he free and clear from paying any part of the interest? That doesn't seem fair, since his name is still listed on the account.  Considering I put up with a lot over the course of our marriage, being responsible for his debt for about 20 more years is not helping my own anxiety or depression.
I don't know if there is anything that can actually be done, but if anyone has suggestions, that would be great. I appreciate you at least reading this. I'm based in Ohio, the loans were taken out while we were living in MA, if that matters at all.

TheCollegeInvestor

Sadly, there is nothing to be done as of now. They're jointly both your loans, and there is no way to unwind that. See our guide here: Spousal Consolidation Loans.

However, there is a bill in Congress that has hopes - so you should talk to your Congressperson (write, email, call), and let them know they need to support this bill.