• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Start Here: Student Loan Forgiveness

Started by TheCollegeInvestor, July 15, 2015, 10:29:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1988ag2018

To tell you the truth I am not quite sure. 

TheCollegeInvestor

thevatican2

Hello!  Thank you very much for this forum.

My husband consolidated his Direct Unsubsidized Loan in 2011, current balance: $47,196.00.  Ever since then, he has been on IBR.  This year, he has been accepted to  the Federal government and is currently earning $87000.00 annually; increasing to $103,000.00  next year.  Is PSLF still an option?  What tack should he take in paying his student loan given his change in circumstance?  Thank you very much for any guidance you will offer.

TheCollegeInvestor

PSLF is an option, but he might pay off the loan on IBR before he gets forgiveness. Never hurts to certify and stay on IBR.

TheCollegeInvestor

These loan forgiveness programs only apply to American Federal student loans.

Kelsiebear

Hi
Debating to get out of fedloan. I currently owe about $74,000 and qualified for loan forgiveness. My monthly increased to $660/month and now after reapplying, my new estimate maybe $1500/month. Honestly after 120 pymts, there will be $0 forgiveness.

Will it be smart to consolidate with another student loan and get out? Thanks!

TheCollegeInvestor

Has your income gone up substantially? The only reason you have that jump is you either got married, or your income has risen.

In either case, it might make the most sense to pay off the loans quickly - maybe even refinance to save interest.