News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• April 23, 2019, 11:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: mygreatlakes.org loans. Scam?  (Read 34878 times)

Brian1993

• View Profile
mygreatlakes.org loans. Scam?
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »
The last 2 years I've had to take out loans to pay for school. However last semester I took the semester off as I was contemplating changing my major and I had several life issues I needed to take care of. I just started going back to school (the semester started this week). I did not receive financial aid for this semester due to a mix of scholarships and saved up money of my own. Over the past year I've been receiving numerous spam calls a day. Most are obvious scams but some have seemed legit until I further researched them. One number that has been calling me is with mygreatlakes.org. They tell me I have student loans due and refuse to give me any information until I give them my SSN. When I tell them I do not feel comfortable doing so unless I recieve proof from them that they're legit they get rude and refuse saying I need to act quickly before going into default. I have not received any official piece of mail or anything stating such claims and when I bring this up I'm pretty much told that they don't have to send such notice and that they'll send me an email showing my statement and how to pay. The number I've talked to is from Great Lakes (according to mygreatlakes.org anyway). My questions are:
1. Is this a scam?
2. What happens to my student loans if I'm still in school but no longer using loans?
3. Will I receive an official letter in the mail when or if my loans are due now?
4. If this is true, what can I do if I cannot afford to pay these loans yet?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:28:07 PM by Brian1993 »

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: mygreatlakes.org loans. Scam?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »
1. Possibly. Read this post: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/16429/is-your-student-loan-repayment-company-a-scam/

2. Your Federal student loans will go back into deferment if you are enrolled at least half time. Sometimes your school will notify your lender, but more likely you will need to notify your lender about your status change.

3. Yes - just make sure your lender has your correct address. A lot of times people move and don't update their address, so that could delay you getting a letter.

4. Well, you make no payments in deferment. If you're not in school, and can't afford your Federal loans, switch to an income based repayment plan, which will make your loan payment no more than 10-15% of your discretionary income.

Biggest thing to takeaway - all correspondence from your lender that matters will be sent as a letter, unless you signed up for eStatements, which they will then be delivered via secure email.

You might also find this valuable: Great Lakes Student Loan Servicing Problems
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:36:34 AM by TheCollegeInvestor »

mrssander14

• View Profile
Re: mygreatlakes.org loans. Scam?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »
My graduate student loans are through Great Lakes (mygreatlakes.org), so my first instinct is to say that this isn't a scam.  I didn't choose this company...they bought out my previous company, so my account info was transferred to them.  However, it is weird how there hasn't been any written correspondence...Have you gotten this figured out?