News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• April 24, 2019, 05:01:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: go2Finance / David Mize Law  (Read 26132 times)

sixfigures

• View Profile
go2Finance / David Mize Law
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
Has anyone encountered the company or law firm mentioned above? I've heard from more than one company representing a law firm who promised to settle my debts, and have not yet found one that would make guarantees or promises convincing enough to proceed. I can usually find something about either the firm or the company, but these two contacted me today and don't have much info out there. I figured I would post here to inquire if anyone else has dealt with them, and if not, maybe this can serve as valuable information for others who may be contacted by them in the future.

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: go2Finance / David Mize Law
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:06:10 PM »
Be very careful in working with any law firm. Make sure that you ask them exactly what steps they are going to take in fighting your debt.

A lot of people get burned dealing with law firms trying to get their student loan debt dismissed.

Make sure they don't ever:
1. Ask you to stop making payments
2. Ask you to make payments to them

Both of these are big red flags that they are NOT trying to help you.

Most people don't ever need a student loan lawyer unless you're struggling to get out of default, or you are being sued by your private lender.

If neither of these apply, all good lawyer will:
1. Validate that the debts are legitimate (which you likely know to be the case)
2. Validate that they haven't violated any debt collection laws (which you could sue them for violating)

If you're making payments and have no issues, then a lawyer isn't a good option.

Coreyb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:50 PM »
i just got in contact with the same people. they told me all the same things as above, I was not thinking right apparantley. So I went through all the paperwork and electronically signed everything. Am I legally binded to this, or can I still fall back on it and tell them I don't want to proceed with them anymore??

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:19:44 PM »
Read the paperwork, but chances are, if you don't pay, there is no legal agreement - that's part of the contract. Make sure you check it though.

wildone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
I signed up with Go2finance about 10 months ago. I have lots of debt and some of it has already been taken care of. ill report back once i see more results

dmize

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
Good morning all,

If you have any questions or concerns relating to my firm or services, feel free to contact us directly. Our website is www.davidmizelaw.com and all contact information is available thereon.

Regards,

David Mize

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing your information. I think everyone would love to know more here on the message boards about your services.

I know you cannot discuss client information, and every situation is different, but GENERALLY:
1. What would you do for someone in student loan debt?
2. When do borrowers need a lawyer, and when do the not?
3. How much can someone expect to pay for a lawyer's help?
4. What outcomes could someone expect if they have Federal loans and nothing else?

lindsay817

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I contacted Go2Finance about the Navient loans I currently have. I feel like this is too good to be true. I gave my information to the rep but did not agree to move forward because I am not sure if this is a legitimate business. I'm so anxious about this. Anyone have success with this company or is this a scam? I too, found it difficult to find information about this business and couldn't seem to get the name of the specific law firm they use.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:24:42 PM by lindsay817 »

dpdom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:01:24 PM »
Hi,

I just got off the phone with Gary gary@go2fin.com and basically he's telling me to stop paying my student loans, start paying the attorney $400 a month and the lawyer will send a cease & desist letter to Navient & AES which are my two student loans. He is saying that once the student loan companies try contacting me to make a note of it because for each time they contact me so it can be a $2,500 fine in court. So supposably these fines add up over the course of 12-18 months and the student loan companies will settle out of court because the fines will add up hirer then the student loan cost itself. hmmmm.... Gary seems like a really nice guy except he's like trump in a way, he promises things but is ver vague on how they will get done. There is no step by step, There is no talking to the attorney, he was a lil pushy when i decided to call him back to think about it. He was like well you can still sign up and cancel it before the scheduled payment was due so you can give me your bank info.... ????  IDK about you guys but I am tired of getting mistreated by these student loans, I've paid around $500 monthly for about 6 yrs totaling at around 36K in payments this far and the total of my principle on both loans are pretty much the same as they were before I started making payments. With another 48k to go before its paid off and thats if the total starts to drop i'll be paying about double what i was loaned out! Damn you LA FILM SCHOOL I was just trying to make good living. Now i have to worry about scams that can eventually put me in more debt and mess up my credit report even more!!!! Its actually really sad but its insane that I'm not the only one going through these same problems without help from the student loan companies or the gov.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:07:17 PM by dpdom »

dpdom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:08:07 PM »
i just got in contact with the same people. they told me all the same things as above, I was not thinking right apparantley. So I went through all the paperwork and electronically signed everything. Am I legally binded to this, or can I still fall back on it and tell them I don't want to proceed with them anymore??

any updates?

dpdom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:09:10 PM »
Good morning all,

If you have any questions or concerns relating to my firm or services, feel free to contact us directly. Our website is www.davidmizelaw.com and all contact information is available thereon.

Regards,

David Mize

Do you have any input on this?

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 11:56:16 PM »
We asked him to respond but he never came back to the forums. While we know that lawyers cannot discuss specific client information, we would like to know the following:

What would they do GENERALLY:
1. What would you do for someone in student loan debt?
2. When do borrowers need a lawyer, and when do the not?
3. How much can someone expect to pay for a lawyer's help?
4. What outcomes could someone expect if they have Federal loans and nothing else?

Slave2loans

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 05:58:50 AM »
Hi all,

I ALSO got a call from go2finance who is represented by David Mize Law.  I currently have 81k in private loans and 40k in federal loans.  I spoke to Ryan Smith at go2finance and he obtained all my private loan (they said they cannot help with federal loans, although their website has a tab for federal loans?) and he proceeded to get me "approved" to cut my 81k in private loans down to 41k.  They said i would be getting a call from David Mize's law firm, asked me to sign the agreement (i did) and asked for my bank information (which i gave).  So now i am freaking out because i feel like this is still all too good to be true.  If this is real and works, then why have i never heard of this before?  I graduated in 2008 from FIDM in Los Angeles.  Ryan at go2finance said that all my private loans fall under the predatory lending laws and can be discharged.  He also said that if i have credit cards (i do) they can add those to my debt and they will take care of those too.

seriously though .. . . . . WHAT IS THE CATCH?  They are supposed to take their first payment from my account tomorrow and i am canceling until i can speak to someone and ask more questions.  Everything i read says these are red flags; asking for payments to a law firm, and claiming they can discharge my debt (without filing bankruptcy). 

At the same time i am one of those desperate grads looking for any way to cut my $1,150 monthly student loans payment down. 

Once other question, say this does all pan out and works, how does this work for taxes?  With any settlement you always have to pay taxes on it.  So am i going to have to pay tax on 40k that was forgiven?

thanks all.  i feel all your pain daily.  college is the biggest scam :( 

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »
While I can't speak to this company specifically, what typically does happen is that you make these large payments to the law firm, and they keep your money while they negotiate with the lender.

They ask you not to make payments, which ruins your credit score, and after about 12 months, they go back to your lender and say "see, they can't make payments, so you should settle". Meanwhile, you're 12 months behind on your loans, your credit is ruined, and you've paid $1,000s to this law firm for nothing.

Here's the catch - the student loan lender NEVER has to agree to a settlement. The law firm tries to get a settlement, but the lender could instead garnish your wages, garnish your tax refund, and more. They don't have to settle.

If they don't, you're still out the $1,000s you paid the law firm, and you still owe the student loan debt. Except now you're in a much worse financial situation because your credit is ruined and your loan balance has ballooned because of late fees and interest.

And yes, if you do settle, any debt discharged is considered taxable income in that tax year, so you'll end up owing the IRS. However, it's pretty rare they settle.

What a good student loan lawyer can do for you is:
1. Validate that the debts are legitimate (which you likely know to be the case)
2. Validate that they haven't violated any debt collection laws (which you could sue them for violating)

If either of those two circumstances has happened, you could get your loans discharged tax free because they violated the law. Otherwise, you really don't need to work with an expensive law firm.

collegestudent84

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 04:36:13 PM »
My husband is currently in contact with a lawyer from the David Mize Law Firm as well. He has to pay a retainer to the law firm of 20,000 and his total private loan amount is 40,000. We are supposed to make 400 dollar monthly payments (that's about 4 years) while they attempt to reduce or dismiss his loan. Does this sound legitimate? I just want to make sure this company will truly help us resolve this debt because we are not in a position to afford 20G on top of 40G.

My husband already has terrible credit, and does not pay on these loans because they were taken out by his father without his knowledge. We tried to remove them from his name, but have had no luck so far. Any suggestions?

On a separate note, do you know if there is any assistance for disabled vets trying to pay off loans? All the information I've found states you must be 100% disabled, and I am 70%.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:40:59 PM by collegestudent84 »