News: Welcome to the Beta launch of the Student Loan Debt Forum on The College Investor.

• January 16, 2019, 11:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Credit and Student Loans  (Read 5388 times)

dee

• View Profile
Credit and Student Loans
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
How can you erase defaulted loans on your credit report once you go into forbearance? Is there a limit to how long negative student loan marks are on your credit report ?

TheCollegeInvestor

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The College Investor
Re: Credit and Student Loans
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »
No, the late payments and default will stay on your report and negatively impact your credit score for at least 7 years (similar to bankruptcy). Going into forbearance doesn't change anything.

The best course of action is to get back on a repayment plan you can afford and start making payments.

airotciv17

• View Profile
Re: Credit and Student Loans
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
I got a "tip" from Credit Karma saying I could ask Fedloan to consider removing negative marks from my credit since my accounts are in good standing now. I called them and they told me that I could submit a request for that to be considered. Technically its considered "contesting" the derogatory marks. I told them I didn't necessarily want to contest them but I did want them to consider removal because I enrolled in auto-pay and have been paying since. They said it would still be the same kind of form and I could just clarify that i was requesting a "courtesy" rather than contesting the validity of the derogatory marks. I submitted the request and I'm waiting for a response.