• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Loan forgiveness for disability (in the future)

Started by florida-mom, August 10, 2016, 11:28:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

florida-mom

I have read that student loans can be forgiven for permanent full disability.

My son is considering college. He is now permanently completely disabled.  This may sound like an odd question, but if he goes to college now and takes out loans, can he still get the forgiveness for disability even though he is already disabled before he even takes the loan out?

He mainly wants to go to college for personal enrichment and to have a sense of accomplishment.  I don't want to see him burdened by loans later down the road because of not being able to get them forgiven because the disability isn't "new".

Hope this makes sense.

TheCollegeInvestor

If you receive an SSA award notice BEFORE you take out student loans, you will not qualify for student loan discharge.

RobertM

If you are totally and permanently disabled, you may qualify for a total and permanent disability (TPD) discharge of your federal student loans or TEACH Grant service obligation. If you receive a TPD discharge, you will no longer be required to repay your loans or complete your TEACH Grant service obligation. This section explains more about TPD discharge.