• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Spouse income in establishing re-payment plan

Started by exgrif, August 22, 2016, 01:04:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

exgrif

August 22, 2016, 01:04:44 pm Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:00:16 pm by exgrif
My wife and I filed separate, but married income tax statements for 2015 at the advice of Navient. The goal was to use my income to help keep the payments manageable. I was told today by Navient that household income is now the rule, regardless of how you filed your taxes. I did the online re-payment app and  it allowed me to do so as a single filer, married and not separated. The debt is totally mine, with no cosigner.

Will this allow me to get a lower repayment plan than one based on household income and will it be honored?

Thanks in advance!

TheCollegeInvestor

If you are on IBR (income based repayment) or PAYE (Pay As You Earn), you can still file married filing separately to use just your income.

However, if you are on RePAYE, your payment will be based on your combined income, regardless of how you file your taxes.

Here's an article that explains it, as well as the math behind it: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/17807/the-math-behind-married-filing-separately-for-ibr-or-paye/