• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Can I get my Student Loans forgiven?

Started by Cabgirl8, October 13, 2016, 03:48:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabgirl8

I went to school once in 2001 and once in 2009. In 2001 I went to school to become a travel agent, and I was three months away from graduating when my father passed away. I was not able to go back because after that year they did not have the program anymore. In 2009, I went back for a two-year program and after a year in the program my five year old daughter at the time  became very ill and I was not able to finish the program because I fell behind on my homework. In 2004, I applied for disability and I did not work for 3 years. I do have a  disability but it is so rare,  that the disability board didn't recognize it and told me that I could still work. In 2007, I got myself a job after being denied disability and I have been there for 9 years because it is the only job that I can do. I am on State insurance because I have medication that costs me $1,100/month, which also happens to be my take home pay. I can't make any more than $1,292/month or the State will take away my insurance, and if I don't have my medication, I can't work. I'm also a single mom working a Full-time job and this can be my only source of income. I have had my Student Loans in Forbearance for the last 5 years, and also IBR because of economic hardship. I know that the interest is accruing daily and I'm up to owing around $14,000, but I don't have enough money left over in a month to make any kind of payment because than I will not have food for the month, toiletries or gas to get to work. I will always be at my job, making the same $8.15/hr at 77 hours, every two weeks. I feel like I will never be able to pay my loans off.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thank You

TheCollegeInvestor

Are you on IBR or forbearance?

If you're on IBR, and your payment is $0 per month, that's a legit payment and it counts.

Remember, IBR gives you forgiveness after 25 years, so any amount remaining that you owe will be discharged (even if you go 25 years with a $0/mo payment).