• Welcome to The Student Loan Debt Forum | The College Investor. Please login or sign up.

Paid more than required (HRSA nursing program) - did not receive PSLF credit

Started by djwagner00, November 05, 2016, 03:16:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

djwagner00

I am a nurse and have worked full time since 2012 aside from maternity leave. I was fortunate to qualify for HRSA, which helps me make payments for 3 years, providing me more money each month than I am required to pay to FedLoans.

Recently I submitted my PSLF certification but was shocked to see that I have only made 14 qualifying payments in the 4 years that I have been working at my hospital. FedLoans justification is that the extra money that I paid on top of what was due, automatically was put towards the next month, disqualifying ALL of those payments from PSLF.

I find it outrageous and disheartening that by default, overpaying your bill each month would result in disqualifying payments from the PSLF program, unless I had taken additional steps to personally request that the money not be put towards the following month. I feel like the last 3 years of my payments have been wasted, and my HRSA program actually extended my PSLF months.

Has anyone had luck appealing similar "disqualifying" payments?

TheCollegeInvestor

I would immediately report that to the CFPB. As they are finalizing the rules for forgiveness, these are issues that need to be addressed.

It's really quick to file a complaint - you can do so here: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/